Bella




On most days, the younger 3 Willmer's and I walk to school. 
And on most days, we take Bella with us. 

Every morning I walk her, we have the same struggle: I am pulling her or she is pulling me. It is wild, difficult, and it drives me bonkers.  She gets easily distracted & her life, and our walk, comes to a grinding halt for bird poop, rocks, trash, and worms. Then she bolts tenaciously after birds, squirrels, bike riders, and loud trucks. She struggles to just be. I find myself asking her, “Can’t we just walk together? Side by side. Steady?"

As consistent as barking at cows, and the endless sniffing of dried up worms, is the truth that the closer we get to our own home, the more calmly she walks. She settles in. I often think to myself, as we are tugging and pulling our way home, how very similar Bella and I are, to my walk with God.
I get easily distracted by fears, unknowns, prayers I am waiting on, and then I hard charge things that aren’t good for me.  Our walks are full of, "Don't want that" and "Come on. You saw that yesterday. It isn't good for you." He daily reminds me of what is good for me, to keep pressing ahead, to walk beside, one foot after the other. My Heavenly Father longs to walk steady beside me, while I tug and dart. I'm so thankful his patience and love are persistent. The closer I get to him, my home and my refuge, the calmer I become. My walk becomes less arduous and erratic, more sure footed and steady. I can just be.

Comments