CandyLand

Today Addie and I played, what I am sure could be, the longest game of CandyLand known to man. Addie seems to always pull out the big "W" and I can't figure out how. Does Milton Bradley somehow rig these games so only the kids win? It's a sad state of affairs for me, when I can't recall the last time I won at Candy Land (or Chutes & Ladders for that matter). Anywho, today I was down 2 games to my little CandyLand Queen. So, for our third game I decided to put a tasty wager on the table: If I win or if she quits, I get a piece of Halloween candy and if she wins she gets a piece of Halloween candy (quitting is not in my vocabulary-sorry kiddo). And so with that, we began a game of CandyLand meant for the record books. We went through the deck of cards 5 full times. One minute I'd be praying for Grandma Nut to move me up the candy path and the next I'd be quoting her vices! Once I was four candy squares away from Candy Castle and then I pulled the dreaded Gingerbread Man (yep, he's waaaaay back at the beginning). It was a painful trek backward...past Frostine, past Jolly Gumdrop, past Lolli, past Mr. Mint and even past Grandma Nut! (She's in the picture above) There was one round through the card deck where I managed to pull all 5 character cards. Addie thought it was funny...I on the other hand did not :) Addie had her fair share of "almost wins." She was close to winning several times, but Grandma Nut found her way into Addie's little hands too! Eventually Addie was there in body, but not in spirit. And I found myself playing for both of us, because remember quitting is not part of my vocab. I'd pull her card, move her Gingerbread man, then pull my card and move Gus (a figurine from Cinderella b/c we lost all the other Gingerbread men and the girls never want to be the little mouse who doesn't go with the game...hey, maybe Gus is my problem...). I'll give Addie props because she hung in there- not wanting to give up a piece of candy to her mom...but in the end the victory was all mine!! Yep, I started this game down 0-2 with Addie, and ended 1-2 playing CandyLand by myself. But believe me that Reese's Peanut butter cup will be tasty and well worth all the Grandma Nuts Milton Bradley can throw at me!!

Comments