Star Student unplugged

Today Addie got to be the special star student in her class. The teacher began by reading a few special fun facts about Addie (that Addie had written) and then gave the class the chance to try and guess who she was reading about. Things like, "This person has yellow hair, she likes to eat dessert & she has 2 brothers and 2 sisters..." Once her BFF Beau guessed it was her, Addie got to go to the front of the class and share more about herself with her classmates.
Now this is where things can get interesting when you have child like Addie who has no filter and will say anything that pops into her sweet little mind. Since she could speak we have often referred to her talking as an audible stream of consciousness-whatever she thinks she says. With that being said, the rainbow rug in room 16 became her stage. She shared how she has a fish named Anna, a lizard named Grace who eats her skin when it sheds or live crickets we catch in the backyard. She likes to make lemonade with the fresh lemons from our neighbor who likes to spy on us from his living room. She likes to vacation in Arizona. She gets tackled by her brother Titus a lot and that he has painted toenails that are blue. I said, "Addie, you shared all that?" Thinking to myself, mentioning you have a fish, like to ride a scooter, and love eating chocolate would have sufficed. She replies nonchalantly, "Yeaahhh mom, its all true and they did want to get to know me and my family better?!"

(the now famous blue sparkle toenail polish)

I love that girl.





Tonight we ate outside. The kids made silly people with their corndogs. I never thought I would buy corndogs in mass quantities, but I threw in some green beans and we all said amen. When Brian isn't home for dinner we eat loudly and we eat outside (so the sound can not rattle my ears). At one point I looked at my party of 6: Emma was singing about Gwenyth's blue eyes "sparkling like the stars," Addie was laughing at her own joke, Titus was roaring like a lion, Nehemiah & Gwenie were in their Bumbos on the floor waving their arms & giggling, and I was swatting at the yellow jacks who try to land on our food & and that causes nobody to eat sitting down. It was bliss.

At one point, I asked Addie why she was laughing. She couldn't even answer b/c she was laughing so hard. I tried to get it out of her. She tried to look away to straighten her face & catch her breath, but every time would start laughing again. Until she was laughing so hard she started crying. Finally, she said she was going to tell me when I was going into the kitchen, "You missy, in the kitchen, go to the office!" She thought that one liner was hilarious. I have never seen a 5 year old laugh so hard at her own joke, tears and all.

Comments