I Heart Valentines Day


I have always love, love, loved Valentines day. I've heard all the hoopla...about it being a big Hallmark holiday, a way to promote consumerism, or that it's a "man-made holiday" (in the words of my non-loving, but still flower purchasing Valentines day husband). And the thing is, none of these things bother me or even phase my love for Valentines Day in the least. There is something warm & fuzzy about seeing a man carrying a bouquet of roses or a potted plant, maybe a big hearted balloon...because I just know the gal on the receiving end of that sweet little something, is going to feel so special, and why? Just because it's Valentines Day. It doesn't matter that they may feel guilted into doing it or pressured by the huge banners of red and pink in every store and everywhere they turn.
Fact is, they are doing it and it is making someone feel wonderful.
Now that my daughters are 6 and 4, I get the dear pleasure of celebrating Valentines Day through their little hearts. I watched as my girls received Valentines from their classmates. The joy and love that poured into them from simply opening a Spiderman card with a lolli-pop attached, was amazing. Each child had hand-picked which card they wanted to give and to whom and they delivered them with such giddy excitement. Boys or girls-the excitement was all the same. They didn't need a party, decorative paper plates, heart shaped cookies, or hot chocolate to sip-all they needed was their hand-made Valentine box stuffed with personally delivered Valentines. It was both a precious and dearly innocent sight to see. As the kids left to go home, I passed out little heart-shaped stickers and everyone wanted one, I didn't even have to sell it as, "something you could give to your mommy," they all wanted them for themselves, and they would tell me right where they wanted it-front and center, no doubt. After school, the girls and I got into the car to drive home and the dramatic verbiage has never reached such heights nor volumes. Love was in the air! These girls are my kinds peeps for sure...

Tonight we had a Valentines Day dinner. Complete with steak, my hubby's world famous mashed potatoes, cornbread and sparkling cider (we even drank it out of fancy glasses and toasted each other perpetually). I asked for the girls' help in decorating the table and told them to gather as many candles as they would like. It is fair to say we ate dinner in a very bonfire-esque kitchen topped with a plethora of scents. When Brian led us in prayer, I snuck a one-eyed peak at Emma and her precious little face was one of sweet & utter bliss. It was like she had just gotten a kiss from an angel.

Addie summed up the day, when she said that receiving a Valentine candy bracelet from a neighbor boy made her feel "bodacious!" Emma asked, "What do you mean?" And Addie replied, hand on heart, eyes raised heavenward, "It made me feel so beautiful."

Happy Valentines Day to you!

Last night, I over-poured Emma's A-1 sauce and just look what shape it spilled in!
Do Valentines Day and I have a connection or what?
I think Valentines Day hearts me too!


Comments