Last day of Summer & the First Day of School



Yesterday we had our first annual Eat Without Your Hands ice cream sundae party. I wanted to kick off the school year with a little mess! The kids invited some friends and we had a blast...it was short and sweet, but oh, soooo messy. Emma came in a close second place, but won the title for style points (of course)-her chocolate ice cream fit her sweet little face like a glove. Addie enjoyed mint with magic shell and many princess sprinkles.



Then this morning we woke up for our first day of kindergarten and 2nd grade.
Here is Addie sporting her no-uniform school outfit and adorable Hello Kitty backpack (and matching lunchbox inside). Addie made all her own selections & that girl does not waste time. We went to Target to backpack shop and less than a minute in front of the backpacks Addie was done.

Emma on the other hand, is just like me. I remember standing in the front of the binders as a child and literally being torn between two binders. It was painstaking for me, because for me everything has always had feelings-even binders. I would go back and forth, holding both, not wanting one to feel abandoned. My mom, bless her heart, would leave me in the aisle to make my choice while she finished up our grocery shopping. My sweet Emma is the same way. 10-15 minutes after Addie was done and over the whole backpack situation, Emma was still torn-a new backpack or should she stick with her old faithful and true? Like the tender heart she is, she didn't want her old backpack to feel replaced and so she is using her 1st grade Hello Kitty backpack from last year.
It was exciting and bittersweet to tuck them into their classrooms. Addie marched right through the others kids to snag a seat in the front row (love that girl!). Their dad and I walked home together with hearts full of prayer for what God will do in their lives this year and through their lives as well. Each little girl of mine made unique, powerful, and sweet and up for the start of a new year. Unprompted, Emma went up and introduced herself to a quiet little girl waiting outside the classroom and minutes later they went hand & hand into Room 17. Tender hearts may have a hard time picking binders & backpacks, but they do not have a hard time picking out a new friend who needs a little comfort.
Use them Lord to make a difference.

Comments

Jack and Doreen said…
I've had my cry for the day-and a full and grateful heart...
Love, mom/gaga