Riding bikes

Addie has never been one to throw caution to the wind.  She takes her time when approached with something new.  She weighs the pros & cons, the consequences, assesses the danger factor, analyzes the "what if's." She is tender & sensitive.  She simply does not move into new things quickly.  Spontaneity is not her comfort zone.  She needs to process & will not be pushed too easily outside of her timing.

     A few examples:  Going on the wave runner used to illicit performances of all out, full fledged, kicking & screaming.  You have to understand, Addie is an easy kid, so, the first time she did this Brian and I looked at each other crossed eyed and being the brave parents that we are, made her go on it anyway-kicking and all.  She got back & proudly bragged about how fun it was (hands white from giving the handle bars the death grip, no doubt). 
    
This summer we thought she should give boogie boarding a whirl.  She didn't agree and everyone within 2 miles of Newport Beach heard about it.  Again, a crossed eyed Brian & I used all our mental & physical strength to get her on and keep her on that boogie board.  The Loumagne family, parents to 4 dazzling children, are not only our dear friends, but were also witnesses to the madness, and in a spur of the moment decision of brilliance & experienced parenthood, bribed her with cookies. Our end of the deal was cookies, but only if she went 5 times.  We aim high around here.  Remember I am married to "that dad." Bring it on!  Addie will do anything for dessert.  So, slowly & with much fear and trepidation, she gave it a try.  It was ugly, very high profile, and had many parents, kids, & pigeons on the beach staring.  We would hold the board still for her and then when a little 1-2 foot wave came along we would give her a gentle push.  4 out of 5 of them went smoothly and at the end of the 5th try, she got off that board, and without looking back with love and gratitude for her long suffering parents or for a congratulatory high-5, headed straight for the Loumagne's and their cookies.  
(protest in action)
This leads me up to yesterday.  As of lately, the new task at hand has been teaching Addie to ride her bike and more importantly how to brake.  I think all kids should learn how to brake before they can ride... you launch them off and then all of the sudden realize your 30-something year old legs have to catch up to them to save them before they hit a curb or the dreaded parked car.  Not. a. pretty. sight.  Addie used to be able to ride fearlessly, until she hit our neighbors curb and went over the handlebars into their grass (thank goodness) because my 30-something year old legs and 7 month pregnant twin belly couldn't catch her.  She had a word or too aimed my way, that's for sure, as I quickly started giving mommy's magical kisses on anything and everything that looked like it could be hurting.  The fodder we are for our neighbors in unimaginable.  So, anywho, we have had many days of regaining confidence and many loud moments of "Why are you making me do this? Don't you love me?  I'm your daughter? Daddy, please!" No joke, Addie not only has a flare for safe & familiar situations, but also one for passionate, outlandish, broad sweeping declarations.  Again our neighbors can only sit back and marvel at us with sheer amusement.  It looks like this, Emma, Gwenyth, Nehemiah and I sit on the sidewalk, Addie on her pink cruiser & Daddy with Titus in the kid seat on the back of his bike.   He bikes right next to her, never letting her get more than a safe few feet away from him.  He is able and does grab her seat at any time she needs guiding and help slowing down.  It is a gut wrenching, but a beautiful thing to watch.  Up and down the street they go.  Her pronouncing her fears and him steadily assuring her with truth, void of fear & what if's, guiding her with his hand on the back of her seat. He lets go upon occasion, because he knows she can do it, she is usually unaware, eyes fixed on the road ahead.  Back and forth they go. On Sunday, they were coming to the end of the street and he said with confidence, "Addie we are going down the street to the next block."  I could hear her protest, but before she had a chance to state her case, her grabbed the back of her seat and with strength steered her along side himself and down the street they went.  Out of my sight, but gaining confidence, no doubt, with each inch of road being traveled. Minutes later, she came strolling into the driveway with a smile, like she had been tasting the wind.  She boisterously announces, while clapping, "I did it, I went down the street and I wasn't even afraid."



I love how God uses my kids over and over to teach me more and more about Himself.  God said this in Isaiah 42:16, referring to the Israelites, "I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will guide them; I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them."  Luke 3:5 says, "Every valley shall be filled in, every mountain and hill made low. The crooked roads shall become straight, the rough ways smooth."  I can identify easily with Addie, because we are wired the same.  I don't always move easily.  God in His wisdom has been my path builder.  My path smoother.  He knows when I need to be gently nudged and when to force me kicking and screaming. Thankfully, both ways are always accompanied by his mercy, compassion, and unbridled grace.  I once heard during a sermon, that God clings onto us with the tenacity of a bulldog, that He will not let go.  We may have no hands left on him, unable to hold on at all, but no matter what God, who is both Lion and Lamb will not let go. He is steadfast.  My fears don't frighten him, my what if's don't change His course for me, my need for control is met with His sovereignty.  He endures with me. While my unbelief pains Him, He will remain and cling, seeing me through each turn of the spoke, until I can say with a grin having tasted the winds of life beside Him, "We did it!"

I pray you know God's fatherly care over you today :)

Comments

Lindsay, that was an awesome post. Please pass along a high five, "WAY TO GO!!!" to my fellow gagger-mate.

Awesome words underlining the post Lindsay. They gave me tingles. God dropped those words right onto your heart to share with me. What a Blessing!

Love ya,
Matt
Jessica said…
Amen Lindsay! Thanks for the funny yet meaningful encouragement. You are awesome

Jess
Anonymous said…
Linds, what a wonderful post, so funny yet sensitive and warm. And the awesome part at the end with scripture was the grand finale. For 30ish, you are soo smart.

Love, Aunt Denise
gaga said…
This post began with your usual humor and witty observations, and left me with no words...instead, some beautiful, touching images of God holding onto us when we can't/aren't holding onto Him...thanks for letting me in on what God shows you-love, mom